One writing exercise I’ve seen repeatedly is to list the things in a character’s purse or backpack, in their closet, or on their desk. I thought it would be fun to do to myself.
And no, I didn’t clean off my desk first.
- My computer monitor and the three cookbooks it sits on to bring it to a comfortable height
- Mouse, mouse pad, and wrist rest
- My digital camera, which lives next to my monitor so I don’t lose track of it for weeks like I did that one time…
- A GoT Stark family-crest coaster (Winter is coming!)
- A mug of tea (Adagio White Peony, this morning)
- Several scraps of paper with jotted notes about new ideas or additions to current projects, waiting to be transcribed
- Two library checkout receipts with the books I’ve already returned crossed out
- Three hair elastics
- Four bobby pins
- One tube of lip balm (Burt’s Bees peppermint)
- One tiny jar candle (sugar cookie scent, unlit at the moment)
- A small, handmade (by me) travel notebook
- A Groot bobblehead and a BMO figurine (They’d be friends in a GotG/Adventure Time crossover, right? I think they would.)
- And finally, a handwritten note card with words and expressions to cut during editing the novel, mostly filler and filter words like just, so, had to, and my narrow-focus crutch phrase for a moment. Didn’t realize I still had that, it was buried under the mountain of scraps!
What’s on your desk?