- Bright afternoons with cool breezes.
- Digging out my collection of flannel scarves. I just made another one last week from an old shirt, and I left the pocket on. So now I have a scarf with a pocket, which is oddly thrilling, for some reason.
- Stew for dinner. I love to cook, but who wants stew in the summer? Beef stew, posole, pork-and-sweet-potato, cauliflower chowder . . . yummy.
- Apples! I’m fortunate enough to live in apple country, so there’s a zillion varietals to choose from, the quality is good, and the prices tend to be cheap. I’ve got plans for a few batches of crock-pot apple butter this year, a tradition I’ve neglected for the last few. (Ever stirred apple butter into your oatmeal? It’s divine.)
- Reading on the couch with blankets. Simple pleasures are sometimes the best!