Eve Messenger nominated me for the BookFangirling Blog Award! Thanks, Eve! (And no, I didn’t forget!)
- Create a post to accept your award.
- Add the blog award button into your post and put it on the side of your blog as a widget. Visit fangirling for the award button.
- Answer the questions I have below.
- Nominate between 5-10 book bloggers who you think also deserve this award.
- Come up with your own 5 questions for your nominees.
So, here goes.
What’s your favorite book genre, and why?
I’m torn between fantasy and romance, and honestly, most of my favorite (and most re-read) books are fantasy-romance hybrids. I’ve always loved diving into a world that’s not my own, and love stories are so satisfying, so putting the two together is the fastest way to get me interested.
What’s your least favorite book genre, and why?
Mysteries. Mysteries feel like a waste of time to me. In my experience, either the “mystery” is so obvious I’ve got it figured out practically the second it’s set up, or it’s so impossible for me to solve that it doesn’t feel satisfying at the reveal–I just end up frustrated because it feels arbitrary and disconnected.
Ironically, I like watching mysteries, to some extent–I’m a fan of the BBC Sherlock series, and I’ve been known to watch police procedurals from time to time. And House, which was essentially a medical mystery show cloaked in a soap opera drama. I guess having the mystery presented and solved in an hour or two isn’t as frustrating to me as spinning it out over an entire novel.
If, as yourself, you could jump into any fictional world for a day, which would you choose and why?
This is a toughie, because my heart says the Potterverse, but I’m waaaay too old for Hogwarts, and that’s why I’d want to go. I suppose I could pop by the Ministry for a bit and entertain Arthur Weasley with explanations of all his random Muggle artifacts!
What are your three favorite bookalicious Internet sites (blogs, Goodreads, Twitter accounts, Tumblr feeds, #bookstagram, etc.)?
I’m a Tumblr devotee through and through, so that’s one. I follow about 100 people right now, mostly booklrs and a handful of authors, plus some fun non-bookish feeds like Wil Wheaton and hitRecord, which I love not so much for the calls to participate (though those are awesome) but for the quirky art it produces. My own Tumblr is 90% books and writing, and the other 10% a mix of whatever I think is neat, pretty, or fun.
Second is definitely Goodreads. I’ve been using it since June to track my reading, and I love that it’s essentially a giant book recommendation machine on top of its database function. I’ve just joined a few groups in the last week or so, for the reading challenges I’m doing plus the new #readwomen monthly book club (we’re voting on the first selection right now!), so I’ll be getting into the more social aspects of it this year.
Third place definitely goes to blogs in general. I’m slowly discovering more, and though I’m not committing to anything like the 365-comment challenge (pledging to comment on that many unique blogs during the year, ideally one a day) I do mean to read more (thanks for sharing your friends list, Eve, in your post the other day!) and definitely to comment more. I feel pretty successful at interacting with commenters here (it’s rare I don’t reply to someone, though I admit I’ve probably missed a few here and there) but I could really do more commenting elsewhere. Part of it is getting my name out there (selfish) but part of it is knowing that if I feel this good interacting with my readers, shouldn’t I spread the love more?
How do you decide which books to add to your TBR?
A lot of ways. Is it something new by an author I already love? Probably going on the list. An older work by an author I just discovered I love? On the list.
Beyond that, I add books after I see the author do an interview on The Daily Show (or the Colbert Report, when that was still around.) I read Modern Romance after Aziz Ansari was on, for example. I add books I see booklrs fawning over on Tumblr (The Night Circus is coming up in my queue soon…) I add books I pick up at book sales because they seemed interesting. It’s a little more rare for me to add a book after I read a review of it, but it happens. And yes, I will add books because they have pretty covers. That’s why books have pretty covers!
So, my questions!
- Do you write in or otherwise mark your books up (sticky tabs or highlighting)? If you do, why?
- What will make you put a book down without finishing it?
- Are you a movie-first or book-first person? Or do you watch film/TV adaptations at all?
- Give me three books from your TBR and tell me why you’re excited to read them.
- What tropes or conventions do you think are overused in your favorite genre, and what would you like to see instead?
And my nominations: