- Something from my 2018 backlist: Lions of Al-Rassan, by Guy Gavriel Kay
- A book that continues an ongoing series (with priority to finishing a series): Unquiet Land, by Sharon Shinn
- A book from my backlist by a new-to-me author: Cards of Grief, by Jane Yolen
- Nonfiction (if I have any outstanding): Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries, by Kory Stamper
- Any other physical book in my collection, especially if I don’t think I’m going to keep it: The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera
- Any book I own I’m excited about, regardless of when I got it: Felix Ever After, by Kacen Callender
I nearly didn’t finish my February plan, because I could not seem to find the motivation to start The Tommyknockers, and when I finally did, it validated my hesitation with how uninteresting it was. I’m solving that problem this month by tackling #5 first, as Unbearable Lightness strikes me as one of those hyped/classic/made-into-a-movie books that I’m either going to adore to pieces or hate with a passion. If it’s the former, why not give it a try right away, and if it ends up being the latter, might as well chuck it sooner rather than later, right?
Unquiet Land isn’t pictured because I’m going to have to sign up for an Audible trial period to get access to it, as none of my many ways of using the library can get it to me. Why not pay for it? While I love Sharon Shinn in general, I feel this is one of her weaker series, and once I’m finished with it, I may actually donate the first three books, which I do own. So it seems silly to shell out for a hardcover I already doubt I’ll keep (there’s no paperback release) and I’m not buying it digitally for basically the same reason, even if it is cheaper that way. I’ve been keeping my ear to the ground for a used copy but none are turning up (which doesn’t surprise me if it wasn’t popular enough to get a paperback version.)
The rest of the list is a pretty mixed bag of genres and we’ll see how many of them turn out for me, but isn’t that always the way?
As I said in last month’s wrap-up, I’m super busy in March and making time for reading might be difficult, so I’m not even thinking much beyond this tiny (for me) TBR. If I get to other stuff, great, but this is the focus, this is the goal.